Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by Should Be Reading each week as a way for participants to “tease” their audience with two sentences from a book they are reading.
“She realized it was no choice at all. She would always fight.”
pg. 261, Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi
Each week The Broke and the Bookish presents us with a topic and asks us to name our “Top Ten.” This week’s topic is: Top Ten Words/Topics That Instantly Make Me Buy/Pick Up A Book…
First let me start by saying I didn’t know if I’d be able to think of enough responses and then when I started putting it together I realized I really do have my preferred niches. I love when it all comes together. I also did a spin on this topic and included four topics that make put the book back down and walk away.
- Eternal love – When the synopsis includes bits about a never ending love that has lasted past lives. Laury Falter’s Guardian Trilogy Belle Mallory’s Wanderlove Saga are great examples of this.
- Urban fantasy – It doesn’t even have to be dystopian, though I suppose they usually are. Jana Oliver’s Demon Trapper’s Saga really made this a go-to genre for me.
- Musicians – This started with “The Rocker that Holds Me” and has continued to “Music of the Heart” It doesn’t hurt the cover models are the same 😉
- Aliens – Before Daemon I was a fan of sci-fi, the tv show Roswell can take the blame for this one.
- Exotic locales/places I’ve never been and always wanted to go – I want to see everything and everywhere, I probably won’t get to see even a fraction of what I want to see in my Lifetime, so books that can take me to Paris or Greece or Scotland are huge attention grabbers for me.
- Retelling/adaptation of mythology/fairy tales – I like the spin authors take, the imagination needed to pull this off successfully always surprises me in a good way, when it’s good, of course.
- Witches/demons “supernaturally themed” – I’m over my ten but I had to include this one because besides aliens and angels, witches and demons are another of my kryptonite.
I want to invert this topic and include some words/topics that instantly make me put the book back down…
- Werewolves – Never liked the subject much except for Remus, Teen Wolf and True Blood. I can watch it but I’m not interested in reading about it.
- Zombies – Same as above. I can watch it all day long, but I don’t want to read about them. Probably because when I watch it I can close my ears and hum to avoid the yucky parts, but while reading? Yeah, not so much.
- Cancer/Terminal Illness – Hits too close to home and I avoid reading books that encompass the subject in any form.
- ANYTHING that has been compared to Twilight – If there is a blurb that says Twilight fans are sure to love yadda yadda, I instantly lose interest. It’s not the book’s fault, it might be the best thing since cheese BUT it’s just so over done and I am just so over the helpless heroines and ridiculous love triangles and just no. I read too much YA to sit through anything I know I’m not going to want to finish.